Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, together with the Americans, are putting pressure on the military

The United States received the explicit support of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), two countries believed to have influence over the Sudanese military, in a joint appeal on Wednesday, November 3 “Instant Recovery” the civilian government overthrown by the army in Khartoum.

“We demand the immediate and full restoration of the civilian-led interim government”assured these three countries and the United Kingdom in a joint statement “Share the great concern of the international community”. “We call on all parties to show cooperation and unity to achieve this critical goal”they added. “To this end, we call for the release of all those arrested in connection with the recent events and for the lifting of the state of emergency.”they wrote again, believing that the violence did not occur “No place in the new Sudan”.

also read Article reserved for our subscribers “It is imperative to ban the putschist government of Sudan from the nations”

On October 25, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane arrested Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok, a technocrat who had become the civilian face of Sudan’s transition after the revolution that toppled dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. Military and civilians shared power.

Last week, a senior American official said Washington is in contact with Abu Dhabi, Riyadh and also Cairo to put more pressure on the Sudanese generals. In particular, he had considered that the Emiratis had helped the Prime Minister return to his home, while reiterating that this was insufficient as he was still under house arrest.

absence from Egypt

US diplomatic spokesman Ned Price also revealed on Wednesday, for the first time since the military coup, that Washington is in direct contact with the military coup plotters to urge them to withdraw.

That’s what American diplomats said “without any ambiguity” to the Sudanese army “what the international community is calling for, namely a speedy restoration of civilian-led government”, he explained. With Wednesday’s four-party statement, he believes, the United States is showing that this is not the case “not alone” but on the contrary “united” with their allies, also in the region.

The head of American diplomacy, Antony Blinken, had met his Saudi and Emirati counterparts in Europe over the past few days to work on this text in particular.

However, Egypt, which some observers have accused of backing the coup-host military, did not sign Wednesday’s joint statement. Asked about this absence, Ned Price replied that it was necessary “Ask the Egyptians” what their position was while ensuring that contacts also continued with Cairo regarding the Sudanese file.

The United States, which immediately pledged $700 million in aid to Khartoum following the military takeover, is multiplying statements to urge General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane to pick up the thread of a tentative power-sharing with civilians.

On Saturday, tens of thousands of people took to the streets of the Sudanese capital to protest the coup in a country already mired in an economic crisis and eroded by decades of conflict. Despite fresh clashes that left three protesters dead that day, US envoy to the Horn of Africa Jeffrey Feltman conceded some Tuesday “Detention” by at least part of the security forces.

In order not to miss any news from Africa, subscribe to the “Monde Afrique” newsletter via this link. Find news and debates brought to you by the editorial board of the world africa.

The world with AFP

Leave a Comment