Published on :
Ballistic missiles fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen on Monday targeted the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, where two people were injured before being intercepted. This attack marks a new milestone in the conflict.
Houthi rebels in Yemen on Monday (January 24) fired ballistic missiles in quick succession at the United Arab Emirates, which they intercepted, and Saudi Arabia, where two people were wounded, adding a new level of attacks on their two Opponent.
Saudi Arabia and the Emirates are part of a coalition that has intervened in war-torn Yemen since 2015 to provide military support to the government against the Houthis. The latter control most of the north of the country and the capital, Sanaa.
All three countries are located on the Arabian Peninsula: Yemen borders Saudi Arabia and the capital of the Emirates, Abu Dhabi, is around 1,500 kilometers from Sanaa.
The fresh shootings against the Emirates and Saudi Arabia come after an airstrike attributed to the military coalition on a rebel-held prison in north Yemen on Friday that killed at least 70 people.
The multiplication of attacks on the Emirates, a prosperous Gulf state that maintains its reputation as a haven of peace in the Middle East, turns a new page in the war in Yemen that began in 2014.
After claiming responsibility for the attacks on the Emirates and the Saudi kingdom, the Yemeni rebels on Monday threatened to “intensify” their operations.
“We stand ready to respond to escalation with escalation,” rebel military spokesman Yahya Saree said in a televised statement.
“Protect the Country”
“The Emirates Air Defense intercepted and destroyed two ballistic missiles launched by the Houthi terrorist group,” the Defense Ministry said in a statement in Abu Dhabi early this morning.
“The attack caused no casualties and debris from the destroyed missiles fell around Abu Dhabi,” he added. The Emirates “take all measures to protect the country from all attacks”.
A few hours earlier, in the middle of the night, the Saudi authorities announced that two people had been injured by a ballistic missile fired by the Houthis at the city of Jazan (south). Another ballistic missile fired at Dhahran Al-Janoub (south) was intercepted.
In response, the military coalition commanded by Ryiad said it had destroyed a “ballistic missile launch platform in the Al-Jawf region” in northern Yemen.