Your landlord can’t increase your rent on the spur of the moment.
Our top 9 things to know about renting an apartment in Dubai are: Before you rent, while you rent, or when you’re evicted or want to move. These simple rules will help you rent a home in the city without any problems.
Do business only with brokers who the RERA has approved.
If your broker doesn’t have a Broker ID card, find someone else to work with instead of them.
It is important to register your contract with Ejari to make it legally binding so that you can use it.
With your documents, go to a typing center. Pay a fee of AED 195 to register your contract with Ejari, and you’re done. Deposits, such as security deposits, should also be included in your Ejari, so write them down there. You must get a receipt for the deposit. You should also keep a receipt and a copy of the landlord’s passport.
It says that your landlord can’t raise your rent on a whim because of a law called Decree No. (43) of 2013.
Because of Decree No. 26 of 2013, you can file a case with the Rent Committee if they do that.
For rent to go up, it must go up with the Rent Index set by the RERA.
- You can’t have your rent raised by more than 10% of your rent is less than the average for the same type of unit.
- A rent increase of 5% is legal if you pay 11-20% less than the average rent for similar homes in your area.
- If your rental rate is 20% to 30% less than the market rate, your landlord can raise your rent by 10%.
- If your rent is 30 to 40% less than the average rent, you can get a 15% raise.
- A rule is that your rent can increase by 20% if it’s more than 40% less than the ordinary rent for similar units.
When you use the rental calculator, you can determine how much your landlord can legally raise the rent.
How does this thing work?
- Check out dubailand.gov.ae.
- When you click on the “Most Used Services” link, you’ll see the “Rental Increase Calculator” link.
- Select the “Start the Service” button.
- The date the tenancy contract ends, the area, the type of property, the number of bedrooms, and your current annual rent should be filled in.
- Afterward, click the “Calculate rental increase” button to determine how much your landlord can legally raise the rent.
They should give you 90 days’ notice before they raise the rent.
When a landlord wants someone to leave, they must give them written notice for 12 months. This notice should be in the form of a notarized document or sent by mail that has been signed.
If your landlord requires you to sell their house, he must give you written notice for 12 months.
It can’t be let again for two years after you evict a tenant because the landlord or someone close to him is moving in.
Method of payment
There aren’t many landlords in Dubai who accept monthly rent payments. Instead, they’ll ask for rent to be paid in cheques, one cheque, or four cheques. This system reassures landlords that the tenant will follow the rules and keep his end of the deal. As a general rule, the agreed-upon number of cheques for payment can be changed. They may lower the rent if less money is paid in one year.
In Dubai, you need to put down a security deposit and pay a real estate agent’s fee to rent a home. This is usually 5% of the rent for the year, but it can be more or less. The security down payment will be returned when the lease is over. Tenants will also have to pay the Dubai Electric and Water Authority (DEWA), which can cost about AED 2,000 to register and a different amount each month based on how much electricity and water they use.
Stay away from Bounced Checks in the UAE
In the UAE, it’s illegal to write a check even though you know it won’t work. You could be convicted to prison or fined if you are found to have written a check that you knew was going to bounce. This is in Article 401 of the Penal Code of the United Arab Emirates. Keep an eye out for landlords who add a fee to the rent if a check doesn’t go through. Before you sign the lease deal, make sure that this clause is there. Tenants don’t have to pay any fines if it isn’t in their lease agreement.
Registering with Ejari is a must
Ejari is a rental website set up by the Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA) to keep and improve the rental market in Dubai. All residents who rent in Dubai must register with Ejari. Tenants are usually responsible for the cost of registering with Ejari. Those who don’t have an Ejari account will not be allowed to sue their landlord in Dubai. It is very important to sign up for Ejari as soon as the lease agreement starts.
People who want to move in for the New Year can look at many great places to live while they wait. Explore the most recent properties for rent in Dubai.